Sunday, July 9, 2017

Number 7: Bastille - Warmth

Warmth” by “Bastille
Requested by “Samuel Marlow”

Reaction to Name/Title and Predictions

Band/artist name sounds familiar-ish, predicting a song, on the slower side, and a band. Honestly, I doubt Sammy listens to metal, but it’d be a good name for a metal band or at least hard rock one. How many times am I going to say that? Keep posted to find out. Bastion would be another good one. I’ll guess it’s an electronic band/artist and modern music. Maybe about a loved one or fire.

Reaction from the first Listen

Video I watched (Live at Capitol Studios): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1idDZ3QHEPs

Hey, stringed instruments, that’s pretty gooOoOOd! Vocalist had a good voice, the instrument playing and vocals melded together very nicely for most of the track. Pleasant listening, not too fast or loud, but natural ups and downs in a conventional order. My favorite parts were the climax, middle region, and start in that order. Well, who doesn’t like a climax? My least favorite part was when the instruments almost drowned out the vocals earlier on. I understand the purpose though. I wasn’t paying too much attention to the meaning, but it seemed pretty simple. Wanting to be close to some person and engulfed in their warmth and how they realize what they’ve missed once it’s gone?

Review/Thoughts

Lyrics:

The lyrics kind of remind me of Christian bands/artists (not a compliment nor an insult, just an observation). Some of the lyrics could be talking about depression, “Feeling helpless, I look for distraction.” for instance. Could just be related to sadness and/or pain though (or just how cold the world is). There’s a lot of warmth in people we never see though, especially with strangers. Not much else to add besides what I said after my first listen.

Sound:

The singer had a good voice, not a bad range, but more importantly, he knows how to play with what he has. Range isn’t everything. Favorite instruments in the background were the violins, violas, and cello. Imagine if they added in double bass in place of percussion? Haha, I’m playing (I’d want to hear that though). Maybe not so much instruments in the background, the violins and violas came to the foreground a lot. I appreciated that and the moments where you heard the vocals clearly over the other instruments. The piano playing to accompany the vocals was great. Surprising, right? I never dislike piano playing. Is it bad if I say the ending is my favorite part? I don’t mean it like that. xD

I rate seven out of eleven, almost to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment